Motorcycle Endorsement

If you operate a motorcycle on public roadways, you need to add a motorcycle endorsement to your Idaho driver's license. In order to obtain your “M” endorsement, you need to pass a both written knowledge test and a motorcycle skills test administered by the Idaho Transportation Department's Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

The skills test portion can be waived upon successful completion of a qualifying STAR course. After passing a qualifying course (Basic or Intermediate Rider Training), your STAR completion card will be printed and mailed to you within 10 business days after your class. Your completion card is needed to obtain your “M” endorsement on your license.

If you are seeking an endorsement on an out-of-state license, please first check with your local DMV to ensure that a STAR class meets your home state's requirements.


Everyone seeking an endorsement on their Idaho driver’s license must take the DMV's motorcycle written test ($3.00) at any driver licensing office. The test consists of 25 multiple choice questions and you may not miss more than five questions. Test results are valid for one year. You may review for the test by studying the Idaho Motorcycle Operator’s Manual. You can download the manual from the Idaho Transportation Department website. A free copy of the manual is also available at any driver licensing office.


If you are under 21: You are required to take and pass a motorcycle training course. The STAR Basic or Intermediate Rider Training will meet this requirement if the endorsement is added within two years of passing the course. If you are under 17, you must have successfully completed an approved driver education course before enrolling in a motorcycle training course.

If you are over 21: You may choose to take a STAR Basic, Basic II, or Intermediate Course to waive the skills test with the DMV. Successful completion of either of these courses will waive the skills test requirement if the endorsement is added within two years of passing the course.


You may take a skills test ($25.00) by a third party skills tester. Information on skills testers can be obtained when you take the written test or by visiting ITD's Skills Testers interactive map. The written test must be taken before the skills test. You may review a practice guide that covers the skills required for the test by visiting the Practice Guide on this site.


Please visit the DMV website for details about location of driver licensing offices, and additional information about written and skills tests, motorcycle endorsement fees, and other motorcycle-related information.


Top chevron-down