Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get my motorcycle endorsement?

Everyone seeking an endorsement on their Idaho driver’s license must take the motorcycle written test ($3.00) at any driver licensing office. The test consists of 25 multiple choice questions and you may not miss more than five questions. Test results are valid for one year. You may review for the test by studying the Idaho Motorcycle Operator’s Manual at This Link. A free copy of the manual is also available at any driver licensing office.

If you are under 21:
You are required to take, and pass, a motorcycle training course. The STAR Basic or Intermediate Rider Training will meet this requirement if the endorsement is added within two years of passing the course. If you are under 17, you must have successfully completed an approved driver education course before enrolling in a motorcycle training course.

If you are over 21
You may take a skills test ($25.00) by a third party skills tester. Information on skills testers can be obtained when you take the written test or by visiting and referencing SKILL TESTERS on the bottom of the page. The written test must be taken before the skills test.


You may take Basic, Basic II, or Intermediate Rider Training, which will waive the skills test requirement if the endorsement is added within two years of passing the course. As an added bonus, many insurance companies give discounts for taking an Idaho STAR class.

Want to ride while waiting for a class?

While we strongly recommend taking the class before riding on the street, it is legal in Idaho to ride with a valid permit. If you have a valid Idaho driver’s license, you may take the written motorcycle test ($3.00) and purchase a Motorcycle Instruction Permit ($15.00). Motorcycle Instruction Permits are valid for 6 months. The permit will allow you to ride during daylight hours only, with no freeway driving or passengers allowed. If you return to the driver’s license office to get the endorsement before the instruction permit expires, you will not have to pay the $15.00 one-time fee for the endorsement.

For more information about the STAR courses or to register for a class, visit our website at or call 208-639-4540. For licensing information call your local driver’s license office.

How do I register for a class?

You can register online by selecting a course type from the Course Listing menu or by phone at (208) 639-4540 or (888) 280-STAR (7827). Full payment is required at the time of registration to hold your seat in class. We accept MasterCard and Visa. If paying by cash or check, please call to make arrangements.

I am under 21 years old. Do I have to take an Idaho STAR class to get my motorcycle endorsement?

Idaho law requires you to pass a certified state motorcycle safety program, such as an Idaho STAR rider course, to qualify you for the "M" endorsement. Taking the STAR Basic I, Basic II, or Intermediate Rider Training will waive the skills test at your local driver licensing office if the endorsement is added within two years of passing the course.

How can I get into a class sooner than what is available?

One way is to show up early on the first session of any class (typically Friday evening for a traditional Basic, Saturday morning for a Basic e-course, and Saturday morning for all other courses).

Tell the instructor you want to "walk in" if there are any "no shows." You should have your calendar cleared for the weekend, be prepared to pay tuition with cash or check, and be ready to go if a spot is open with all of the required gear.

If you are already registered for an upcoming class, your tuition will transfer - just show your instructor a print-out of your confirmation or pull up your emailed confirmation on your mobile device. Walk-in students under the age of 21 have priority over other students because they are required by law to take a motorcycle safety course prior to receiving a motorcycle endorsement.

Can I get on a waiting list?

No, we do not maintain waiting lists as our registration system is in real time. Any openings due to cancellations or the posting of additional classes will show up immediately at as available for registration. If there is a specific course you are having trouble accessing, please let our staff know by using the Contact Us form. Although we do not maintain waiting lists, we do keep tabs on public interest and frequently add courses to the schedule.

How do I access my eBRT (e-course) account?

Access the Idaho STAR online classroom with the link provided in your course confirmation email, or you can use this link - We recommend bookmarking the page for easy access.

Click here for a step-by-step instruction guide.

I'm under the age of 18. Do I need to have a parent or guardian come with me to the first part of the class?

In order for you to participate in the class, a waiver must be signed by a parent or guardian. Your parent or guardian can stop by the Idaho STAR main office in Boise and sign paperwork before class, OR they may come to the beginning of class to sign the necessary paperwork.

Another option is for you to print the waiver and have your parent or guardian take it to be notarized prior to the class, then bring the notarized waiver to class with you. You will not be allowed to ride in the course until the Instructor has an acceptable waiver on file. If you are not allowed to continue for this reason, your full tuition will be forfeited.

What kinds of training bikes do you provide?

Idaho STAR provides training bikes for Intro, Basic I, Basic II, and Intermediate Rider Training. We have several different training models with varying seat heights to accommodate most riders. Motorcycle engine sizes range from 125cc to 400cc. If you have specific concerns or questions, please contact the STAR office.

Can I bring my own bike or scooter to ride in the class?

We strongly recommend riding your own motorcycle in any course, provided it is the appropriate size for the course, is street-legal, insured, and registered.

For Basic I and Intro classes, your motorcycle must be 400 cc's or less.  There is no size restrictions for personal motorcycles or scooters in the Basic II or Intermediate Rider Training.

For the Enhanced Skills courses you are required to provide your own motorcycle or scooter of any size.

Any time you use your own scooter or motorcycle in a STAR course, you must bring proof of insurance with you and the Instructor must verify the vehicle is in safe operating condition. The Pre-Ride Inspection is a useful tool to determine if your bike is in safe operating condition. If you bring a motorcycle or scooter that is not yours, then you must bring written permission for you to use the vehicle during the class.

If I pass a STAR course, do I still have to go to the driver licensing office to get my license endorsed for motorcycles?

Yes. Take your Idaho STAR completion card to your local driver licensing office and they will waive the skills test, but you must take the DMV knowledge test. Upon successful completion of the test, they will issue your motorcycle endorsement for a small fee.

Please, remember that successful completion of Basic, Basic II, or Intermediate Rider Training will waive the DMV skills test requirement only if the endorsement is added within two years of passing the course. A Sidecar/Trike Course completion card waives the test for a 3-wheeled endorsement only.

When should I expect my completion card?

Your completion card will be mailed within a week of the last day of your class. For e-courses (online classroom), it will be mailed out only after you complete all of the online training and the riding portion of the class.

I can't find my Idaho STAR completion card. How can I get a new one?

Idaho STAR will issue a replacement card for any STAR course taken within the last three (3) years for a fee of $5.00. You can call our office at (208) 639-4540 with credit card information or mail your written request with payment to:

Idaho STAR Motorcycle Safety Program
3500 W. Chinden Blvd.
Boise, ID 83714

How do I schedule a retest?

The STAR office will contact you within three business days after your class to schedule your retest session and a Riding Practice Session if one is needed or desired.

Retests must be performed within 90 days of your original class date. If your class is in the fall, retests are offered after the final class of the season at most training sites. The training season varies from site to site. We do not carry over retests from the prior season.

There are no fees for retests. A Riding Practice Session may be required in order to qualify for a retest. The tuition for the Riding Practice Session is $40.

Will my bike be too loud for class?

If your motorcycle exhaust is stock or still has baffles, you’re almost certainly good to go. If you have straight pipes, your bike is most likely not appropriate for a class setting. STAR’s training locations are primarily at schools and are therefore close to residential areas. We strive to meet the requirements and expectations of residents in close proximity to our ranges. We strongly encourage you to call us if you are concerned about your motorcycle being too loud for class.

Where is my class located?
  • If you are taking Basic, Basic II, or Intermediate Rider Training, you can find the address of your class and printable maps by clicking HERE.
  • If you are taking Intro to Riding or an Enhanced Skills course, get the addresses and printable maps HERE.


Top chevron-down