The Sidecar/Trike Course costs $135. In order to receive your course completion card, you must attend all classroom and range sessions and pass a knowledge and skill test. Students must bring their own sidecar outfit or trike to use in this class. Restrictions for sidecar outfit and trike use in this class:
- No left-hand mounted sidecars.
- No trikes based on automobile engines (Volkswagen motors, etc).
- All personally owned sidecars/trikes must be street legal, and in safe operating condition.
- No fluid leaks, broken spokes, inoperable or missing controls (front or rear brakes, engine cut-off switch, sticky throttle), or structural attachments that do not pass Instructor’s inspection. Outfits will also be checked for adequate tire tread and proper inflation. Straight pipes or excessively loud outfits will NOT be allowed.
- Students must bring proof of insurance and ownership/current registration for the sidecar/trike used in training. If the registration and/or insurance are not in their name, then they must bring written permission from the owner allowing them to use the vehicle during the class.
- A motorcycle endorsement (M) or a “three-wheel only” endorsement is not required to take the class; however one is required, by law, to ride to and from class.
We provide helmets for your convenience. You must provide your own sidecar/trike (see section below). Please arrive 15 minutes early. You must be on time for all classes to continue the course. Bring snacks; lunch, if desired* (you’ll have 1 hour); and beverages. Water will be available. (*Fri/Sat or Fri/Sun classes will have a one-half hour lunch break). Course end times are approximate and may vary due to weather or other circumstances. You must come prepared to ride with the following riding gear (no exceptions!):
- Full-fingered sturdy gloves, preferably leather
- Over-the-ankle footwear
- Long sleeve shirt; a weather-appropriate jacket is preferred
- Long pants, preferably jeans or leathers
- Personal DOT approved 3/4 or full-faced helmet, if you want to use your own
- Eye protection (helmet visor, goggles, or sunglasses will suffice)
- Rain gear, we ride during wet weather!
- Bring your driver's license
If you are not allowed to continue because you do not have appropriate gear as defined above, your full tuition will be forfeited. You MUST provide your own sidecar/trike for this class: All personally owned sidecars/trikes must be street legal and in safe operating condition. The Instructor will inspect your vehicle to ensure compliance. A T-CLOCK inspection form is available to help you prepare for the class. While the Instructor will not check all items, the T-CLOCK is an excellent tool to ensure your vehicle is in safe operating condition. Straight pipes or excessively loud bikes are NOT allowed. Tuition will not be refunded if your vehicle does not pass or if mechanical issues/failure prevents you from completing the course. You must bring current proof of insurance and ownership/current registration for the sidecar/trike used in training. If the registration and/or insurance are not in your name, you must bring written permission from the owner allowing you to use the vehicle during the class.
Though a sidecar/trike endorsement (M) on your driver’s license or an instructional permit is not required to take the class, one is required, by law, to ride your sidecar/trike to and from class.
If you are under 18 years of age, a waiver must be signed by your parent or guardian. Your parent or guardian can stop by the Idaho STAR main offices in Boise and sign paperwork before class, OR they may come to the beginning of class to sign the necessary paperwork. Another option is for you to print the waiver and have your parent or guardian take both pages to be notarized prior to the class, then bring the notarized waiver to class with you. You will not be allowed to ride in the course until the Instructor has an acceptable waiver on file. If you are not allowed to continue for this reason, your full tuition will be forfeited.