Scooter Riders

Do I need training to ride my scooter safely?

Scooters are considered motorcycles and share the same risks as motorcycles.  Learning the skills and knowledge for safe scooter riding is always a good idea, whether you ride your scooter to school or work every day or ride it just for pleasure.
The typical scooter is simpler to operate than a motorcycle, as there is no clutch and no shifting required. The skills found lacking in crash-involved riders, however, are cornering (the ability to take curves smoothly and stay on the road), braking (the ability to stop quickly), and swerving (the ability to go around a hazard).  These skills are just as challenging on a scooter as on a motorcycle. 

Can I take my own scooter to the class?

We provide motorcycles for our Basic I, Basic II, and Introduction to Riding courses, but you may choose to ride your own scooter in the classes. Your scooter must be 400 ccs or less in the Basic I and Introduction to Riding courses. There is no size limit for the Basic II. 
For the Experienced Course, Braking Skills Practice, Cornering Skills Practice, or Precision Riding Clinic, you must bring your own scooter (no size limit). 
Any time you use your own scooter or motorcycle in a STAR course, you must bring proof of insurance with you and the Instructor must verify the vehicle is in safe operating condition. The T-CLOCK inspection is a useful tool to determine if your bike is in safe operating condition. If you bring a motorcycle or scooter that is not yours, then you must bring written permission from the owner for you to use the vehicle during the class.

Do I need to get an endorsement to operate a scooter?

Scooter riders need a motorcycle endorsement on their driver’s license to operate on public roads. 

If you are over 21 you’ll need to pass both a written and skills test to get your endorsement. Successful completion of a STAR Basic I, Basic II or Experienced course will waive the skills test portion of the endorsement. 

If you are under 21, you are required to take and pass a certified rider training course, such as an Idaho STAR course. You’ll also need to pass a written test at your local driver licensing office. 

In order to operate on public roads, scooters, just like motorcycles, must be:
- Registered
- Titled, no matter the size or type of motor
- Licensed
- Insured