Be A STAR
Minimum Qualifications for Becoming a STAR Instructor
- Possess a strong desire to provide a needed service to the motorcycle community (give something back)
- Be in good health (because of the physical demands of the work)
- Possess riding skills sufficient to pass a skills evaluation
- A clean driving record:
- No fatality involved traffic accident resulting in conviction for any moving traffic violation
- No conviction for driving while driver's license is revoked or suspended
- Have no more than one moving violation within any 12-month period
- Must be a high school graduate or equivalent (GED)
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Have completed a STAR course within the past year
- The first step in becoming a STAR Instructor is reading through and understanding the following material. When you've completed all the steps, you'll have the option of going to our online application.
Expectations/Requirements for STAR Instructors
- Model safe riding behaviors - Instructors are expected to wear appropriate riding gear (DOT approved helmet, eye protection, long sleeves, full length pants, full finger gloves and footwear that covers the ankles) in personal riding as well as on the range.
- Maintain skills to effectively demonstrate exercises - We expect our Instructors to spend the appropriate time practicing so they can demonstrate good riding technique to the students.
- Attend update training at least one time every year
- Follow STAR approved curriculum; comply with policies and procedures
- Maintain a good driving record
The Next Step
If you are interested in becoming a member of the STAR program, please click on the button below and fill out the Instructor Candidate application. Clicking on the button below signifies that you have read through this introductory material and are interested in becoming an Idaho STAR Instructor Candidate. You are also acknowledging that filling out an application does not guarantee you a seat in the Instructor training workshops.Instructor Application